6.10.2010

oh.baby

It's exciting to see friends start families. As urbanites, most of us have left our families back home to experience the challenges and rewards of city life. We get an education, make new friends, become working professionals, and eventually, establish a new urban family of our own. We've all seen "Friends" and "How I Met Your Mother".
Eventually, we get to a point in life where we want to become parents ourselves and with our biological families many miles away, we count on our urban families to step in.
You may remember my friends who got married last year...well, it's time for their little duo to expand. I feel lucky to be a part of their urban family and participate in this new phase in their lives.
So, when I received the pretty invitation for the baby shower I immediately thought of what I would give as a gift. There is, of course, the option of something from the registry. But instead I wanted to make something that would perhaps stay with little "Taco" (as he's called). Something he would appreciate, or at least something his parents would. If nothing else it would remind them all of this moment in time when two soon-to-be parents named their unborn child "Taco". Funny, yes, and totally adorable.
My gift was a hand drawn and painted alphabet on watercolor paper. All the letters are there from A-Z watercolored in blue; perhaps a teaching tool for the future. Look closely, however, and you quickly realize that a few of the letters are in orange...T-A-C-O! When he is born and given a name, my hope is that this will serve as a little reminder of when he was simply called Taco.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails