5.14.2012

Site Visit: DeCordova Sculpture Park and Museum

It took years, but circumstances have finally led me to visit the DeCordova Sculpture Park and Museum.  The day was cloudy and stormy; the landscape green, lush and vibrant. And the art? It sat still and silent in stark contrast to it's surroundings.
As I walked the grounds of the DeCordova I encountered sculpture after sculpture. Each thoughtfully placed in the site to enhance the visitor's experience of the artist's intention. The clouds rolled by above us, but as evident in the images above, they only intensified the experience.
I later met my group of twelve students who's project this semester is sited at the Sculpture Park. We explored together and discussed the principles of integrating sculpture and landscape. They seemed engaged and excited about the project to follow.
As I drove out of the museum that afternoon, I felt unsettled. I couldn't quite pinpoint what it was about this place that felt strange. Perhaps it was the impending storm or maybe the sense that these faces, creatures, slabs of steel were watching me and each person that had been there before and recording time. In their stillness they seemed to be keeping track.
It felt like a little piece of me remained there that day. Perhaps I should return...I think I'll wait for a sunny day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails