11.24.2012

Thankful.

Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday. It's all about time with family and friends. And it's an entire day devoted to food. For someone who loves to cook, it's heaven. There is the food of course, but also the table. I really enjoy setting the stage and atmosphere for the meal. It's, first, about picking the table cloth. I have a wonderful vintage collection inherited from my mother and grandmothers so I bring them all out and pick the one that feels right for the day. The table cloth sets the tone and with just a few little special details like a pumpkin for a pop of color and it's done.
This year's table cloth was my mom's from the 60's. It has a beautiful blue ribbon sewn in pretty stripes across the cotton fabric. I wanted some contrast so the deep orange napkins and a tiny yellow pumpkin where a great way to break up all the blue. No need for elaborate flower arrangements. I just fill little jars with fresh herbs! The aroma fills the air around the table.
Starting the meal with champagne is a must! And this year, I made my first pumpkin pie. It was good.
 A few years ago, I learned from Thomas Keller how to roast a chicken the correct way; high heat and less time. I figured applying that technique to a turkey would result in an equally juicy bird. Turns out, it does! It took 1 hour and 30 minutes to cook our 13lb. bird and it tasted amazing. No drying out from being in the oven for too long. And don't forget to brine. 

 My gravy is made with the poached turkey gizzards, fresh herbs, white wine, and a hard boiled egg.
And finally, this moment! My mom and I sharing notes on lipstick. We have very similar coloring, so we tend to "borrow" each other's lipstick when we forget our own at home.
I hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails