1.10.2013

VACATION PHOTOS: Columbus, Indiana

For Christmas we packed up the truck, Penny included, and took a four day drive that led us half way across the country to the midwest.
Along the way we stopped in Columbus, Indiana to see some notable architecture. It's one thing to read about it, it's quite another to experience a great building.
A standout is the library by I.M. Pei. One of the few building we were able to go inside. It is grand and intimate at the same time. I remember feeling the light. It has presence even on a cloudy, rainy, day.
But the real stars were two amazing buildings by Eero Saarinen. The North Christian Church is like a strange and beautiful ship sent here from another world. It sits quietly surrounded by the most serene and thoughtful landscape. We couldn't go inside, and on a rainy day the pictures I took just don't do it justice.
The Miller House was the star of the trip. I had read and researched this house extensively. I was not prepared for how much more incredible it would be in person. Every detail was thought about and designed to perfection. The two thing that surprised me the most is, how intimate the spaces feel, and how utterly connected to the landscape the house is.
We couldn't take pictures inside or out, so again I borrow from a professional. I wanted so much to be able to capture this place with my own lens, but alas the museum people did not allow it.



We also found some time to just grab some food at a local spot in town. Jill's Downtown Diner is such a find! It's the kind of place where the waitress knows the name of everyone that walks in...except us of course. But we became friends in no time.

 There were also random stops along the way; sleepy little town centers full of character. Time seems to have stopped here.


But, surprisingly, it was the driving that I loved best. It's meditative in a way, sitting and watching the landscape go by changing from state to state.
I hope you enjoyed these snapshots from our trip. More to come from our stay in Sioux Falls, South Dakota!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails