4.01.2011

Sometimes...I make it just for me.

Having a business where I create and make things that I intuit others will love, I rarely find the time to make something for myself, or my home. More often than not, I'm "stealing" something off the MAKE.GOOD studio shelf and calling it mine.
Last night seemed like a good time to change that.
It started with a bench. This treasure lives in my front hall (I use the word "hall" loosely as it conjures up images of a grand entry in an old, perfectly restored Victorian, which is not the current situation). I love this bench, and my entry dearly. This lovely piece comes from a long past. It mostly reminds me of the years it lived in any one of my beautiful friend Alyson's apartments. One of which we shared. Before that it belonged to someone in her family. But this now bench, once a coffee table, is a treasured piece that I have loved since the day I inherited it. It's one of those things I plan to have for a very long time.
I had made a cushion for it, which helped it's transformation from holder of coffee, to supporter of humans. And last night I made two little pillows designed just for it, solidifying it's identity as bench.
The pillows are made from old burlap bags used to transport coffee! They have these beautiful markings on them, and a wonderful faint aroma of raw coffee beans that's a constant reminder of their origin and how far they traveled to get here, to live on my little bench.
Coffee bags are closed using a simple stitch made of burlap thread. I modernized the details and used a bright orange cotton thread. Don't you just love the little punch of color!

What treasured pieces do you love in your home? I'd love to hear their story...

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love how you've repurposed the table! And thanks for the plug.

    As for my favorite piece of furniture....it would have to be my bed, for a myriad of obvious reasons.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails