11.15.2009

mobile.homes

If you are lucky enough to have experienced a Calder sculpture, you know the beauty of those gently floating colored shapes breathing in and out like slow moving creatures emerging from thin air.


(Image: Calder Foundation)Sumac II, 1952
I have always dreamt of designing and making my own mobile; to create an ephemeral work, one that is both substance and air, stillness and movement, shadow and light
But until I find the courage to tackle my own version of a Calder, I've been working on a project for a cute little baby mobile...
It started with paper houses. The colored planes that make up the houses interlock. I use no glue or fasteners.

The next version in wood is already in the works. I chose birch plywood with it's beautiful lines and pattern to animate the little objects.
..Maybe the slowly moving houses in the sky will inspire one or two future architects.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails